I have a will created in Colorado. My property is now in Arizona. Do I need to have a will done in Arizona?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a will created in Colorado. My property is now in Arizona. Do I need to have a will done in Arizona?


Asked on January 15, 2019 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you have moved to another state, then so long as your Will was A Will that is properly drafted and executed in your former state of residence, it will be valid in your new state of residence. Here is a link to an artivle that will explain further: https://law.freeadvice.com/estate_planning/wills/state_will_law.htm . If you still reside in the state in which you made your Will but no own out of state property, then a seperate probate may need to be filled although there are ways to avoid this. Here is a link to an article that will explain further: https://law.freeadvice.com/estate_planning/wills/out-of-state-real-estate-in-your-will.htm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption