I have a warrant in Florida but live in Utah. Can I be arrested in Utah and exdradited? Does Florida have jurisdiction in Utah?

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a warrant in Florida but live in Utah. Can I be arrested in Utah and exdradited? Does Florida have jurisdiction in Utah?

Asked on April 28, 2009 under Criminal Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be arrested in Utah and extradited to Florida. In addition you could possibly also be charged with additional state and federal crimes, such as fleeing the jurisdiction to avoid prosecution.

Whether you will be arrested in Utah or not likely depends on such factors as the nature of the crime you are suspected of committing in Florida; who the victim was; the size of the docket in Florida; the priority the DA/State's Attorney in Florida places on the matter; your prior criminal record, if any; whether the DA in Florida knows where you are; the pressure placed on the DA by the press or victim; whether you are ever picked up for anything in Utah and if so, whether the Utah authorities understand the Florida warrant is outstanding. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption