What to do ifI did not show in court because my attorney told me that he would get a continuance but it was denied and a warrant was issued?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do ifI did not show in court because my attorney told me that he would get a continuance but it was denied and a warrant was issued?

I have a warrant for my arrest issued because I did not show up for a preliminary hearing. My legal consul told me he would get a continuance and not to worry. However the judge refused to grant a continuance.

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to call your attorney as soon as you can and insist that he call chambers or make a motion regarding the warrant or make an assertion on the record when he accompanies you to turn yourself in - WHICH YOU NEED TO INSIST THAT HE DOES. He should never have told you not to come if he were not 100% sure that the matter would be adjourned.  It is tantamount to legal malpractice. I would not go so far as to state that in those exact words but make yourself very clear where the conversation is headed and your position.  And if you are paying him out of pocket make sure that you are not billed for the extra work.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption