How can I evict a tenant that has filed for bankruptcy?

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I evict a tenant that has filed for bankruptcy?

I have a month-to-month tenant that has not been a good renter and was going to give a 30 days notice. I received Chapter 7 papers and I am aware this complicates the situation. I read that I have to plea with the courts that I do not wish to renew their lease and then seek motion to lift stay and then do the eviction if necessary. Can I personally write the letter to the courts stating I do not wish to renew their lease?

Asked on April 29, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Bankruptcy can slow down the eviction process, but it cannot stop it. The way it works is a follows: If a landlord sued their tenant for eviction and won a judgment for possession before the tenant filed for bankruptcy then they can proceed to evict the tenant; if a landlord has not won a judgment for eviction before their tenant files for bankruptcy the landlord cannot deliver a termination notice.  In the later situation, this is because of what is known the "automatic stay."  However, a landlord can go to the bankruptcy court and ask the judge to "lift" (i.e. remove) the automatic stay so that they can proceed with the eviction (in most cases the stay is lifted within a matter of days).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption