If I have a tenant who is on a month-to-month lease, do I have to give them a notice to quit?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a tenant who is on a month-to-month lease, do I have to give them a notice to quit?

I’m not asking them to leave on the basis of rent; I gave them a notice to vacate based on damage and disturbances.

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes--you give them one month's notice. The definition of a month-to-month tenancy is that either party--either the landlord or the tenant--may terminate the tenancy on one month's notice. There are some conditions which allow termination faster, without providing the notice, such as nonpayment of rent or willful damage to your property However, since it is often not easy to both prove that any damage was deliberate (or at least grossly negligent, which is more than "merely" careless) and was significant or material enough to warrant termination of tenancy (courts tend to not evict people for damaging shades or drawing on a wall, for example), it is probably best to simply provide 30 days notice of termination and proceed on that basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption