If I have a tenant who I think has abandoned the place and I have put a 3-day notice up, now what do I do?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a tenant who I think has abandoned the place and I have put a 3-day notice up, now what do I do?

I have tried calling no response.

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you did is the correct thing. What I suggest is 3 day notice may not be enough. Do you know where to find the tenant? Write a formal notice, clearing stating that it is your understanding the tenant abandoned the property. Include a 30 day termination date. Make sure you can find the tenant and serve him or her. If you do not get any written statement back before the termination date, then you can go in and repossess the property.

Or, the way. If you served the 3 day notice to the tenant, you can start the eviction process to get him out. Get a court order is the safest way so that you would not be sued for wrongful eviction later on if you are mistaken about the abandonment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption