If I have a store that I franchise from 7-eleven and if I file for Chapter 11, can I still keep the store?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a store that I franchise from 7-eleven and if I file for Chapter 11, can I still keep the store?

It is a means of income for my family.

Asked on November 5, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The simple answer is yes, but it really depends upon the pplan of reorganization which is presented to the Court after filing.  If you are thinking about filing a chapter 11 without an attorney, good luck.  I have never heard of a successful plan in any juristiction. Even experienced consumer bankruptcy attorneys are hesititant to file a chapter 11. You may qualify for a small business chapter 13, depending upon the amount of your debt and the manner in which the underlying corporation is set up (sub-s or C corp?)

I would advise getting advice from a business bankruptcy attorney who can help you in treacherous wares.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption