What are my rights to leave work in order to take care my autistic son if someone else is being given a time accommodation?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to leave work in order to take care my autistic son if someone else is being given a time accommodation?

I cannot get a sitter for him on most occasions. The postmaster at the post office where I work agreed that I didn’t have to work past 430 am in order for me to get home in time for my husband to go to work. The deal was if they needed me for overtime they would call me in early instead. My supervisor will not comply with my quit time and has now written me up for leaving. He is a jerk that tried to bully everyone. At the same time there is a girl that gets specific time off to attend college classes, so it’s not like I would be the only one who needed special times off. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on October 9, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, there isn't anything you can do an employer is not required to allow an employee to leave work to care for a family member or to allow another family member to go to work. Also, employers are not required to be fair they can let employee A have time for one purpose, while not letting employee B have time off for a different purpose. What you describe is legal, and so you do not have legal recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption