What to do about unsupervised probation and an unpaid court fine?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about unsupervised probation and an unpaid court fine?

I have a show cause hearing tomorrow. The judge said that if the court cost is not paid tomorrow I will spend time in jail until it’s paid at $50 a day. I have a check on the way that should have been here today but was not. If I skip court and the check gets here and I pay for the court costs and the bench warrant, will my unsupervised probation be revoked?

Asked on November 18, 2013 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you skip court for a show cause hearing, not only will your bench warrant be issued and additional fines and charges tacked on, but your probation will also be revoked and fines enhanced for conviction on the new charges. You need to understand that the better way to address this issue is to motion to continue the hearing for a week or two and then you should have the money by then.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption