I have a second degree petty theft in my record from about 11 yrs ago. can i get this expunged or sealed in fl.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a second degree petty theft in my record from about 11 yrs ago. can i get this expunged or sealed in fl.

I did plead guilty to this and I did everything the courts told me to do. It was a stupid mistake I made in my life and I would like to get it taken off my record

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Basically Florida law prohibits the expungement or sealing of criminal records for any individual convicted of a crime; had you been arrested and found not guilty or had the case dismissed or the like that would be a different matter. 

I'm not admitted to practice in Florida so there may be something else legally available to you of which I am unaware.  Speak with an attorney in your area and see if they have any ideas on how best to handle this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption