If I have a roommate who has become abusive and I file a PPO, does he have to be the one to move out?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a roommate who has become abusive and I file a PPO, does he have to be the one to move out?

He is not on the lease but has been paying rent. He has recently started being threatening over some disagreements and has caused me to fear for my safety. I want to file a PPO against him but don’t want to have to be the one to move out as I have a legal binding contract to be there. If I file a PPO does he have to move? And if he files one against me, will I have to move out?

Asked on December 20, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Actually even PPOs cannot force a person out of their home, whether they are on a written lease or an oral (unwritten) one and thereffore are a month to month tenant (if you pay rent with an understanding that you are doing so in order to live somewhere, you are a month to month tenant on an oral lease). That's because the PPO does not invalidate the lease or the landlord-tenant relationship.

The issue is: from whom does your roommate rent? If he rents from you--that is, you rent from the landlord, then you take  money from the roommate to let him effecively sublet or subrent from you--then you can evict your roommate. If there is no written lease and he is therefore a month-to-month tenant on an oral lease, you have the right to give him a month's notice terminating his tenancy and that he must move out; if he doesn't leave at that point, you can go through the eviction procedure for your state to have him removed. In the meantime, for your own safety, you may wish to consider living elsewhere other than your rental home (e.g. with friends or family) until he's out, if he looks like he may become violent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption