I have a restraining order against my roommate, can he get one now and kick me out?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a restraining order against my roommate, can he get one now and kick me out?

My roommate was causing me to live in constant fear and I got a restraining order to remove him. I think he is going to court to get one against me to remove me from my apartment. He is not on the lease. Can he have me removed after I already have one against him?

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This all sounds a bit ridiculous, but here is my best shot.

First, you are probably talking about "Civil Harassment Protective Orders" which are governed by California Code of Civil Procedure 527.6.  Usually, there must be a showing of a threat of violence.

Second, it really matters whether or not the roommate is paying rent.  If he doesn't pay rent, and he's not on the lease, then you can kick him out whenever you want. Period.  Call the police and have him trespassed.

If he is/was paying rent, then he is considered a "single lodger" and you can give him the same notice as the rental period (i.e. 30 days) in writing, then you can evict him without any formal eviction process.

If he is on the lease, then things are much more complicated.

If you already have a protective order that has a stay-away component, then he can't be near you--and also can't live there.  If he comes around you, you can call the police and have him arrested for violating the court order.  Have a copy of the order with you at all times just in case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption