If I have a restitution payment im required to make but don’t pay it, will it go to collections or can I be recharged?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a restitution payment im required to make but don’t pay it, will it go to collections or can I be recharged?

I’m not on parole; I can do what I want except own fire arms or vote. However, the interest is drowning me and it seems that I can’t get this paid. I took the conviction completed everything but restitution

Asked on March 17, 2015 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

So it sounds to me like you are attempting to pay but can not keep up with the payments.  Correct?  It is the willful intention not to pay that is the issue that brings in the authorities.  If you default you can be incarcerated but only after a hearing.  I am going to give you the statute to read.  I would speak with a lawyer about possibly doing something by application to the court about the amount or the interest to help you pay it off. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption