What to do regarding a possible wrongful termination suit due to a pregnancy?

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a possible wrongful termination suit due to a pregnancy?

My wife was recently employed at a company. She started last June as a reference from a friend and picked it up quickly. They told here countless times that she was one of the most talented employees they had in quite some time and she loved it. Then, 6 months ago, my wife became pregnant with our first child. When she informed her employers (she had every intention on staying through and even after her pregnancy) they became upset and let her go the following week because they had no idea if she would stay after she had the baby. Is there any legalaction we can take?

Asked on January 29, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country discrimination in the work place based upon gender is illegal. What you have written about suggests that your wife was discriminated upon based upon her gender. I suggest that you consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with the local department of labor to see what legal options your wife has.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption