I have a question about debt collection

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a question about debt collection

I had a credit account that was charged off and sold to a collection agency. The collection agency contacted me by mail and notified me that it had taken over the account. The agency also stated in the letter that it would not sue me because of the age of the debt. The agency gave some payment options, some of which were to lead to total debt payoff, and some payment options which would lead to a lower debt total and the debt being considered settled. I confirmed the agency’s purchase of the account with the original creditor. However, I have not responded to this agency yet. I have heard that in some cases if you say the wrong thing or even start making payments to a collection agency it can restart the clock on the age of the debt. If this happens, I’m wondering if they could then turn around and sue me because the age of the debt has changed. What would be my best course of action here? The letter said I must make a payment by a certain date in order to take advantage of the payment options.

Asked on April 11, 2018 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

How long ago did you fail to pay the credit account? In your state (WA), they sue on a debt like this up to 6 years after it was incurred and you failed to pay. If this debt is older than 6 years, they can't sue you on it, so you can ignore it. If less than 6 years, they can still sue, so you may wish to negotiate the best deal you can.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption