What is the process of filing for a divorce by publication?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the process of filing for a divorce by publication?

My husband and I have been separated for 1 year and 4 months. His last known address was our house that has since been foreclosed on. I due not know his current address, or if he is still living in the state. I currently live in another state. Can I file for divorce by publication and, if so, how do I go about that?

Asked on February 23, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts, to file divorce by publication, you must file all thepaperwork for a contested divorce, with a motion for alternate service, explaining the reasons for wanting to serve your spouse by publication.  If the motion is allowed, you must run the notice in the newspaper for a designated time, and retain clippings of the ads.  (The newspaper may save them for you).  Once this is done, you have to file the clippings with the return of service with the court.  They will then schedule the pretrial hearing as if service was done with a sheriff.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption