Legally, what can happen if I have a previous employer accusing me of taking equipment a month after I left the company?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Legally, what can happen if I have a previous employer accusing me of taking equipment a month after I left the company?

I have not taken equipment of theirs and previously had asked that contact be ceased since I was being accused at the time of stealing a website which I had already been asked to give back and was in the process of giving the website back. What can they do?

Asked on December 20, 2013 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) They can report the matter to the police; if the police think the claim that you stole is credible, they could investigate and/or arrest you. You could potentially face criminal liability.

2) They could sue you for the value of whatever they claim you took, or for a court order requiring you to return it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption