If I just got a second DUI, what are the possible consequences?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just got a second DUI, what are the possible consequences?

Is it ever treated as a first offense after a certain period of time? My previous DUI is from almost 5 years ago.

Asked on February 14, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The timeframe that you are referring to is known as the "look back period". AZ has a look-back period of 7 years after the first DUI conviction. That means your first conviction will remain on your record for that length of time. If you are arrested during your look-back period, you will be charged with a second DUI. Since penalties are more severe for such an offense, it is strongly advised that you consult directly with a DUI attorney in your area. They may be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality or at least reduced. Again, speak with a local lawyer, they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption