What to do if my ex-girlfriend is threatening to sue me for cyber bullying and harassment?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-girlfriend is threatening to sue me for cyber bullying and harassment?

I have a podcast in which I talk about an ex of mine but I only refer to her by first name. Her last name is never mentioned. She is threatening to sue me for cyber bullying and harassment. What can she legally do?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Personal Injury, Texas


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are making statements about her which are false and she suffers damage, such as lost income, due to your statements, she could sue you for defamation.  This could also be considered harassment or invasion of privacy, depending upon the nature of your comments about her.  Even though you do not refer to her last name, anyone who knows the two of you, likely knows who you are referring to.  Perhaps you should find a different podcase subject. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption