If I have a motorcycle repair shop and an owner has left their bike for over 4 months, what is my next step?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a motorcycle repair shop and an owner has left their bike for over 4 months, what is my next step?

The owner will not take my calls or return them. I have attempted to contact the customer several times and I’m having to store the bike.

Asked on December 8, 2014 under Business Law, Missouri


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the owner paid you for services, consider discussing this matter with your state's abandoned property division, which is usually within the state treasurer's office. Contact the agency and find out if there is a statutory time period for you to be required to keep said property and what notices (if any) you must give to the owner (i.e., certified mail, personal delivery) of the fact you have said bike and when it will be considered abandoned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption