If I have a misdemeanor warrant from over a year ago, can I go to the BMV and get a state ID?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a misdemeanor warrant from over a year ago, can I go to the BMV and get a state ID?

I plan on taking care of it but I need an ID to cash checks and pay attorney fees.

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Criminal Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can go and try to get your ID...however, if they have a warrant flag associated with your driver's license, a worker could notice it and have you detained per the arrest warrant.  To get arround the potential arrest issue, you can used an expired DL as long as it has your picture on it.  You can also deposit the funds into an account and then write checks on the account.  Most banks don't require you to produce your ID to deposit funds.  Another option is to sign over the checks to your attorney and let him go cash them.  This will depend on your attorney's comfort level with accepting third party checks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption