Is it true that if I have a limited medical insurance policy, I cannot cancel it until my next open enrollment?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it true that if I have a limited medical insurance policy, I cannot cancel it until my next open enrollment?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, yes, that is true--an insurance contract is typically for a year, which means in the case of employer-provided health insurance, that the employee is obligated to the insurance (s)he selected until the next open enrollment period.

The major exception to the above is that if you had certain major life changes, you may be able to modify your insurance mid-year: the main ones are marriage  or divorce, birth or death of a child, or loss of employment. If one or more of these things occured, speak with your company HR person or department, and/or with  the insurance provider directly, about what it means for  your coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption