If I have a lease with a roommate but he is 2 months behind, what do I do?

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a lease with a roommate but he is 2 months behind, what do I do?

We signed a joint lease. My roomate is 2 months behind on his half of the rent. I really don’t want an eviction in my name. My landlord offered to put the apartment on the listing and pay the half of the rental fee. I’m willing but they can’t do it without my roommate’s signature.

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It becomes a sticky situation when these things happen because I am sure that the lease states that you are "jointly and severally liable" for the rent.  But it does seem that you are lucky in that the landlord is willing to work with you.  The unwilling roommate is the issue and the landlord may have to evict him in order to be allowed to re-rent if he will not sign anything relinquishing his rights to the apartment.  I would speak with some one about protecting your interests here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption