If I have a large sum of money coming to me from a car accident settlement that I was in as a child, how doI go about getting it sooner rather than later?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a large sum of money coming to me from a car accident settlement that I was in as a child, how doI go about getting it sooner rather than later?

When I was 4 years ol I was in a severe car accident. At the time my parents chose the age of 21 for me to receive my money from the insurance. This has never been a problem with me. However I am 18 years old now, and recently found out I am going to have a baby. I am not 100% financially stable and want the best for my child. Is there anything that I can do to receive my money earlier?

Asked on June 13, 2011 under Accident Law, Delaware


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Congratulations!  What probably happened when the settlement occurred is that the money was put in to what is known as a structured settlement annuity, meaning that the money was placed in to a plan that allowed it to grow until you were a certain age.  One would have to read the paperwork here to be sure of the way that things happened exactly.  And you would also have to do a little research on state law.   Many states only allow the money to be put away until a child is 18 years old and not until they are 21. Parents often prefer 21 because they feel that the 3 years plus will allow a child to mature and not low the money on fancy cars and vacations.  But you have a genuinely valid reason for needing the money now.  So I would d get all the paperwork together and seek some legal consultation in your area.  Good luck to you and to your baby.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption