If I have a judgement against me from an auto accident, is there a way to make payment arrangements so that I would be able to get my license back?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a judgement against me from an auto accident, is there a way to make payment arrangements so that I would be able to get my license back?

Asked on February 26, 2014 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

All the related PA statutes that are relevant here are listed below for your review.



§ 1771. Court reports on nonpayment of judgments.

(a) General rule.--Whenever any person fails within 60 days to satisfy any judgment arising from a motor vehicle accident, the judgment creditor may forward to the department a certified copy of the judgment.

(b) Notice to state of nonresident defendant.--If the defendant named in any certified copy of a judgment reported to the department is a nonresident, the department shall transmit a certified copy of the judgment to the official in charge of the issuance of licenses and registration certificates of the state of which the defendant is a resident.

§ 1772. Suspension for nonpayment of judgments.

(a) General rule.--The department, upon receipt of a certified copy of a judgment, shall suspend the operating privilege of each person against whom the judgment was rendered except as otherwise provided in this section and in section 1775 (relating to installment payment of judgments).

(b) Nonsuspension with consent of judgment creditor.--If the judgment creditor consents in writing, in such form as the department may prescribe, that the judgment debtor's operating privilege be retained or restored, the department shall not suspend or shall restore until the consent is revoked in writing, notwithstanding default in the payment of the judgment, or of any installment thereof prescribed in section 1775, provided the judgment debtor furnishes proof of financial responsibility.

(c) Financial responsibility in effect at time of accident.--Any person whose operating privilege has been suspended, or is about to be suspended or become subject to suspension, under this chapter shall be relieved from the effect of the judgment as prescribed in this chapter if the person files evidence satisfactory to the department that financial responsibility was in force and effect at the time of the accident resulting in the judgment and is or should be available for the satisfaction of the judgment. If insurance already obtained is not available because the insurance company has gone into receivership or bankruptcy, the person shall only be required to present to or file with the department proper evidence that an insurance policy was in force and effect at the time of the accident.
Answer: If the judgment creditor consents as stated above you can get your driver's license back pending installment payments.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption