What to do if I have a judgement against me for $20k on an auto loan and I no longer have the vehicle?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a judgement against me for $20k on an auto loan and I no longer have the vehicle?

The judgement was ordered 2-3 years ago. They vehicle was wrecked and I did not have it insured. The towing agency from the wreck claimed abandoned property on the vehicle and got the tile in their name. What about bankruptcy?

Asked on April 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


Eric Ridley / Law Offices of Eric Ridley

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Is the creditor coming after you aggressively?

Bankruptcy is one option, and may be your best one. At least a BK would, depending on the facts, discharge this debt.  Negotiating with your creditor is another option. To give a complete answer, I would need to speak with you briefly to learn more about your circumstances. Feel free to call my office and discuss, if you wish. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption