What to do if I have a joint trust with a significant other who is now incapacitated with dementia?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a joint trust with a significant other who is now incapacitated with dementia?

The only accounts we have funded in the Trust name are 2 bank accounts. In the meantime, he is now incapacitated; he cannot sign documents. I want to protect my house from probate. My house has nothing to do with our existing Trust. I purchased it well after the other Trust was created. Can I create a new Trust in my own name? I ask because I cannot revoke or amend the other Trust without his signature and he can’t sign for things anymore. So I want to make my own Trust. Is this okay?

Asked on March 12, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  I urge you to take all the documentaton to an attorney in your area for just a consultation so you know what have already and what can be done now.  If the house is in your name only you can create and transfer it in to the new trust.  But if the deed requires two signatures - your and your husband's - then you may not be able to do it.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption