What to do if I have a hostile relationship with my trustee who is my brother?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a hostile relationship with my trustee who is my brother?

He feels that he should be “preserving” my trust and I feel that my parents left the money for me to use. He is the beneficiary of the trust funds should I die. He refuses to give me any money for my family, since I got married after the trust started 9 years ago. What can I do? Do I have any rights to this money?

Asked on March 7, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have rights to the money.  However, those rights are defined by the trust agreement itself and many trust agreements give the trustee absolute and uncontrolled discretion over the funds.

Having said that, your brother/the trustee owes a fiduciary duty to provide for your benefit.  If he does not do so, or if he has a conflict of interest, he can be removed by a court.  It sounds like he may have a conflict of interest if he receives funds that he "preserves" from your use.

I suggest you have a trust lawyer near you look at the trust agreement and advise what, if anything, can be done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption