Who would have the most say in where a womanis buried – her fiance or her father?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who would have the most say in where a womanis buried – her fiance or her father?

I have a friend who just passed away. Her husband-to-be wants to bury her here but her father ,who was never in her life, is wants to bury her near him.

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless a person has a will either specifying burial arrangement or at least specifying who has the right to make that decision, the person's next of kin will be able to make this choice. That person is probably her father (though it could also be her mother or her child(ren), if any). It would not be her fiance, however; "fiance" is not actually a legal relationship, and being a fiance neither makes one related to another person (so being a fiance is, legally, the same as being a boyfriend, a friend, or any other unrelated person) nor gives the fiance any legal rights or authority. So unfortunately, unless your friend had a will which answers this question, it will probably be her father--and certainly not her fiance--who gets to decide.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption