What can my friend do if they are involved in 2 criminal cases in 2 different states?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can my friend do if they are involved in 2 criminal cases in 2 different states?

What is the process? He is on probation but has to wear an ankle bracelet and can’t leave the state but still needs to go out-of-state for sentencing? Will the newest case be paused until his probation in the other state is completed?

Asked on November 15, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It can be delayed or it can continue with his counsel present and he via some sort of televised method. There are countless possibilities, including being escorted to the new state for sentencing or providing only counsel to be present or delaying the sentencing if the ankle bracelet is only on for a short time, though there may be sentencing enhancements due to other violations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption