What to do if I have a foundation problem with my home and the builder does not want to help me fix it.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a foundation problem with my home and the builder does not want to help me fix it.

My house is almost 10 years old and I have some pretty decent cracks in it. I have had 2 companies out and they have both that I need to have piers installed because the house is dropping from front to back. The cost of these piers s around $9,000. In the home warranty, it says that there must be “major structural damage” to the home before it would be covered by them. A man from the builder told me that this means that the house must be unsafe for occupancy. Seems like $9,000 is major enough but can’t get any help from the builder. I’m not sure if I have a case to get them to fix this.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It seems that you recetly purchased a home that is ten (10) years old or so that has foundation issues and you purchased a home warrant regarding the purchase. In order for you to ascertain whether or not the foundation issues with the home are covered under the home warrantly, you need to carefully read the document in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed you you by the warranty company and vice versa absent conflicting state law.

From what you have written, there may be an interpretation issue regarding the home warranty and your entitlement to the repairs. Given this, you should consult with an attorney experienced in construction and contract law.

The issue in your matter is how is "major structural damage" defined?

If the home's condition falls within the definition, then you should be entitled to the repairs under the warranty.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption