If I have a felony warrant, can I go to the DMV and get a replacment id without being arressted

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a felony warrant, can I go to the DMV and get a replacment id without being arressted

It is a felony 3 failure to verify address.

Asked on February 6, 2017 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

When you try to get a new identification card at your local department of motor vehicles, the chances of your being arrested are pretty slim. The reason is that the DMV is not a law enforcement entity capable of arresting anyone. Further, it is doubtful that the DMV would have access to the criminal online system to know if there is an outstanding warrant against you. That having been said, there's the possibility whenever any government agency runs your name that an outstanding warrant will show and they can notify the police to come and arrest you. Accordingly, since warrants don't expire, you really need to take care of this warrant (as well as the underlying charge for which it was issued). At this point, you would be well advised to consult directly with a local criminal law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption