If I have a felony DUI but have been off probation for 7 years and have not been an any legal trouble since, can I get my gun rights back?

UPDATED: May 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a felony DUI but have been off probation for 7 years and have not been an any legal trouble since, can I get my gun rights back?

Asked on May 21, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the felony DUI was a strait probation (which by law it should have been), then you can only possess a firearm at your place of residence under Texas law.  You cannot possess a firearm away from your place of residence under Texas law.   Keep in mind, however, that federal law is different-- you cannot possess a firearm at your home or away under federal law.  Many local law enforcement officers aren't savvy on federal law-- so don't arrest for it-- but it is a risk that a convicted felon takes when possessing a firearm.

The only way to get your rights back is to somehow have the conviction undone or pardoned.  Both are extremely hard and rare.  However, if you really want to pursue the either option, visit with a criminal appellate attorney to see if any exceptions would apply to your case.

IF you were on deferred adjudication for the DUI, then you could possess the firearm since you were never convicted of the felony and are no longer subject to the indictment. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption