If I have a deed in my name that states the property can only be sold to immediate family, what happens if they don’t want it?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a deed in my name that states the property can only be sold to immediate family, what happens if they don’t want it?

Can I sell to someone else if the imediate family says they don’t want the property or they cannot pay for it?

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What you are describing is called a "fee tail" where there are restrictions placed on the deed e.g.,  only selling property to your family members.  Fee tails are unenforceable in California because it restricts the marketability and transferabilty of property.  You should not have any problems selling the property to a non-family member because  a fee-tail is uneforceable and your family members don't want the property either. 
I hope I answered your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption