Will my daughter’s father still owe back child support if my husband adopts her?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my daughter’s father still owe back child support if my husband adopts her?

I have a daughter and 3 years ago I married another man. Her biological father is ordered to pay child support but has only paid about 3 months worth. My husband wants to adopt my daughter and her biological father is OK with that. I know he will not have to pay any future child support after the adoption but will he still owe all the back pay and have to continue to pay on that?

Asked on December 23, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So long as there is a current child support order in place the biological father of your child has to pay child support. He will be ordered to pay such including all arrearages up until the date that there is any formal order of adoption including accrued interest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption