What to do about proof regarding child care costs?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about proof regarding child care costs?

I have a court order requiring me to pay half of child care costs but also requires proof of those costs. I have never asked for proof before. My ex uses a family member of her new husband as a child care provider new husband’s daughter’s grandmother. My son is now in kindergarden. My ex drops him off and picks him up from school every day. My ex has refused to provide me with her work schedule to show daycare is needed. My son has told me that he no longer goes to daycare at the current daycare provider. My ex has said that they pay for the full month of child care regardless of how often he goes even if he doesn’t go at all. Am I still required to pay half of daycare costs without proof of daycare expenses or proof of a need for child care or proof that my son is actually attending daycare?

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a court order requiring you to be provided proof of child care costs as a condition for you paying one half (1/2) of such, then you should simply call and write your "ex" a note asking for receipts for all future costs associated with child care expenses for your son and those for the past six (6) months.

Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. If you are not provided with the back up receipts for the costs associated with your son's care, then from what you have written, you should not be obligated to pay half of what is claimed. From what you have written, the "ex" may be pocketing the costs that you have been paying improperly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption