If I have a court date for this week for eviction hearing, would a judge grant me a continuance to seek council and how long would I get?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a court date for this week for eviction hearing, would a judge grant me a continuance to seek council and how long would I get?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A judge has the discretion to grant you a continuance or adjournment. The judge is not obligated to do so, but most likely will, in order to allow you to find counsel; courts are sympathetic to this, since they want people to have legal counsel. To maximize your chance, request the adjournment as soon as possible--contact the court on Monday morning.

As for how long--a typical adjournment like this would be for 1 - 2 weeks, which should be more than adequate time to  secure the services of an attorney.

Again, don't wait until the day of the court date, if you can help it; you can contact the court ahead of time, and the more warning you give the court of a request for a delay, the more favorably the court will generally view your request. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption