What to do if I have a court date for possession of a controlled substance, marijuana?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a court date for possession of a controlled substance, marijuana?

This is my first time getting in any trouble with the police.I plan on going into court and pleading guilty. They knew I had the drugs on me because they were watching the person I bought it from. When I was ticketed I was given a phone number to someone “who could help you get the charges dropped”. It was the cellphone number of an officer who is watching the dealer. I gave them any and all information I know. And despite helping I was told that there was nothing they could really do. At 23 with my first offense, what is the likely hood of prison time vs probation?

Asked on March 26, 2013 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Considering that this is your first offense and you are fairly young, you do have a good chance of getting probation instead of prison time.  No attorney can guarantee a result, but usually prison time is reserved for people who have demonstrated an inability to survive on probation or those defendants who have committed particularly violent crimes.  However, before you enter a plea of guilty, consult with a criminal defense attorney to review all of the details of your case.  If the officer promised to get your charges dropped in exchange for your statement, then you would have a good chance of getting that statement thrown out-- and thus potentially getting a better deal (or dismissal) because of the police misconduct.  If you cannot afford an attorney, ask the court to appoint you one so that you will have someone that can help you with the technical aspects of a plea.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption