If I have a car title loan and don’t want to pay it, what happens if I just turn it in?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a car title loan and don’t want to pay it, what happens if I just turn it in?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are obligated on a loan for a car and no longer want to continue making payments on it, I suggest that you carefully read the loan agreement in that its terms and conditions control the outcome of what will happen if you simply turn in the vehicle absent conflicitng state law.

Most likely the car will be sold and its sale proceeds will be applied to the amount owed. There will be costs for the auction of the vehicle tacked onto the amount owed as well. Based upon what is owed and what is received, that will be the difference owed with accrued interest on the amount plus any monthly payments not made on the purchase.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption