What are my rights if I have a business but my property is under another business name?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I have a business but my property is under another business name?

I have a mortgage on the building using my TIN. Now the owner who is on the deed wants his property back. Is the building mine or the deed owner and, if I stop paying, can the bank come after me and my business name and credit?

Asked on August 16, 2014 under Business Law, South Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Who is on the deed? If you are on the deed but not on the mortgage, the person who is on the mortgage is the individual who would be foreclosed on. The issues of who is on the deed as being completely separate from the mortgage may cause a problem with the foreclosure if any.  Consider speaking to a lawyer about your next steps. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption