If I have a dispute over a hospital billthat I have already paid it, how do I get them to recognize my payment?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a dispute over a hospital billthat I have already paid it, how do I get them to recognize my payment?

The hospital refuses to acknowledge a payment of $1,112 even though I have repeatedly sent them copies of the deposited check. After I send a letter, they are quiet for a while, but then they just send me another bill saying I owe the exact amount reflected in the cancelled check. My payment is never reflected on the bill. My letters are falling on deaf ears. It’s like I’m talking to a machine. Now they are threatening to send me to collections. How do I fight this? Should I see a lawyer?

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact accounts receivables with the hospital who keeps sending you an invoice for the $1,12.00 that you have previously paid and speak to a live person about the situation and the best way to resolve it. Follow up with that telephone call with a written letter keeping a copy for future reference and need.

In your last letter, mention that if you are taken to collections, you will retain legal counsel against the hospital and the third party debt collection company for unfair debt collections practices in that you have provided all evidence that the $1,112.00 invoice has been paid in full.

If need be, you might consider retaining an attorney to write a demand letter on your behalf.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption