What to do if I have a bench warrant that is over 2 years old that I want to resolve?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a bench warrant that is over 2 years old that I want to resolve?

I was convicted of DUI, paid my fines, did 0 days in jail but did not complete the 10 alcohol counseling classes that were ordered. Additionally, I missed my last court date and a bench warrant was issued. What can I do to resolve this and what are my chances of being sent back to jail?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the outstanding bench warrant against you is to consult with a criminal defense attorney to get it recalled and have the underlying matter where things still need to be resolved placed in a position for resolution.

From what you have written, if you have a lawyer involved, most likely you will be fined as opposed to being jailed for the DUI matter that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption