If I have an apartment with my ex-girlfriend and we are both on the lease, can she remove my name?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have an apartment with my ex-girlfriend and we are both on the lease, can she remove my name?

I have been told its illegal for her to take me off the lease; that only I can take myself off the lease.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are correct that a co-tenant may not remove her co-tenant from the lease without that tenant's consent or agreement.

Moreover, no tenant may remove him- or herself from the lease without the landlord's consent as well as the agreement of all tenants. A lease is a contract; no party to a contract may remove him- or herself from the contract unless *every* party agrees to the removal. So unless your landlord  would allow you to be removed from the lease, neither your ex-girlfriend nor you can remove you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption