If I have a 7 month old warrant for my arrest because of telecommunications harassment, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a 7 month old warrant for my arrest because of telecommunications harassment, what can I do?

I have not had any contact with this person in the past 7 months and there is evidence we were both in the wrong. I never threatened her but I did say very mean things. She came to my house and also threatened myself and unborn child. This was between myself and my fiancés ex-girlfriend who refused to take their break up seriously. I have never been in trouble before and I don’t want to spend time in jail. What can I do?

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you should do is to consult directly with a criminal law attorney. The fact is that warrants don't expire; they remain active until withdrawn by a court which won't happen until you appear before a judge. The police could come and pick you up at home in front of friends and/or family, at work infront of your boss and co-workers, etc. Even if they don't actively search for you, the warrant will turn up in an employment backround check or a simple traffice stop (speeding, jaywalking, etc.). Again speak with a local lawyer about this. It will be better for you if you appear in court voluntarily as oppossed to turning up courtesy of the jail bus.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption