Can my son’s grandparents get full custody of my son just because they think my new husband has anger issues?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my son’s grandparents get full custody of my son just because they think my new husband has anger issues?

I have a 3 year old son from a previous relationship. We were never married. He has been staying with his father’s parents for 14 months now. They would not allow him to stay overnight with me because they did not like my current husband. I have been married to him almost 2 years now and we have a 18 month old son together. Just recently I found out that since our custody papers say I have him Sunday through Thursday they couldn’t stop me from getting him, so when I decided to go get him they filed for full custody and are taking me to court within the next 2 weeks for it. Will the courts take him away from his little brother?

Asked on November 30, 2012 under Family Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Most likely the grandparents will be unable to take away your minor child from you simply because your current husband allegedly has "anger issues". Given the seriousness of the matter that you have written about I suggest that you immediately consult with a family law attorney to assist you at the upcoming court hearing that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption