What to do if I have a 19 year old son who lives at home and caused a motorcycle accident?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a 19 year old son who lives at home and caused a motorcycle accident?

As a pedestrian he caused a motorcycle accident. He has his own vehicle and auto insurance. Am I required to contact my homeowner’s insurer to file a claim? Can I be sued just because I’m a parent, even though he’s 19?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your homeowner's insurance would apply here depends upon the terms of your insurance policy.  It is possible if your son is considered a resident of your home under the terms of your homeowner's policy, that you homeowner's policy could be liable.  Whether or not your son's own auto insurance carrier would cover this claim also depends upon the terms of your son's policy and the state you live in.  I would suggest your son attempt to make a claim with his own policy and start there. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption