What are my rights regading the payment od child support if I have a 16 year old daughter who is pregnant?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regading the payment od child support if I have a 16 year old daughter who is pregnant?

I have a 16 year old daughter who lives with her biological mother. I recently discovered she is pregnant. I realize I may still be required to pay child support even though the child is pregnant but what if she also obtains her GED? Since she will no longer be enrolled in school, I don’t believe my support should continue. According to state law, there are stipulations set on payment and termination. One part states the child must be a “full-time student in good standing in a secondary school or its equivalent”. Once GED is obtained, the child’s no longer a student, right?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that child support under your state law  will last until the child is 18 years old or if they are still in high school, it will last until the child graduates or reaches the age of 19, whichever comes first.  Now, although your theory here sounds correct, the child in question will still be under 18 when they get their GED.  Obtaining the GED may not be enough to allow you to stop support.  That portion of the statute does not necessarily mean what you think.  And you can not just stop paying.  You need a court to allow you to stop paying.  You need to make the application. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption