What to do if I have a 14 year old daughter that refuses to visit her mother?

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a 14 year old daughter that refuses to visit her mother?

I have forced her to go for years.

Asked on October 26, 2012 under Family Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, if the non-custodial parent has court ordered visitation, then the child and custodial parent have to comply with it. If they don't, the custodial parent can be held in contempt of court. So, in your case, if your daughter refuses to go to see her mother, then you might find yourself in contempt of court. 

As a practical matter, it's often difficult to force a 12 year-old to do anything. What you could do is go to court to try and get the visitation portion of the custody order modified.  Considering that the "child" is at least 12, the court may well give more consideration to their non-visitation request.

Note:  As the custodial parent, you cannot be found to have initiated or co-operated in any non-visitation incident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption