I have 4 years left, can my ex husband take away my alimony completely?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have 4 years left, can my ex husband take away my alimony completely?

I have been divorced for 5 years….and I receive alimony and I pay him child support. I have my own apt but even though I am still paying the rent, I have been taking care of my very ill boyfriend at his home for the past six months.
My ex husband has been documenting me not living there and I think he is trying to take me back to court to stop the alimony completely Can he do that even when I am still paying rent?

Asked on September 20, 2017 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

So you need to read your stipulation of settlement and see what it says.  Likely it refers to "cohabitation" and that is what your ex is banking on.  Cohabitation has many differnt meanings and sides.  In your state they chose the words "living with another" and that is the first requirement that your ex-husband must establish before he can petiton the court to stop payments.  The second requirement is showing that your financial needs have been altered as a result of your living with this man.  It sounds as if this is a temprary not permanent situation. I would keep your apartment and go there as often as you can to establish you still live there.  Perhaps arrange for help for your boyfrienbd.  If you can proove that living there is temproary and not a permanent situation - you are more a caregiver rather than a girlfriend at this point - then it will help.  Seek legal counsel as well.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption