If I have 3 unpaid default money judgments against me for credit card debt that are over 8 years old, can I still file bankruptcy for them now?

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have 3 unpaid default money judgments against me for credit card debt that are over 8 years old, can I still file bankruptcy for them now?

They total over $70,000 and the rest of my debts are over 7 years and have been charged off.I battled a drug addiction and an abusive relationship and fell into a deep depression and lost my job and everything back than. I should of filed for bankruptcy 8 years ago but never did and just ignored it. I don’t have any other debt except for those old debts. I have $30k in the bank, a car that’s paid off thats worth $20k and just lost my job again.

Asked on April 4, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Bankruptcy will affect all your debts (with certain restrictions that don't apply to your case: e.g. child support debts, debts arising from judgments against you for DUI/DWI), including those for which there are already judgments, so filing for bankruptcy can certainly help you against these old credit card debts. However, bear in mind that filing for bankruptcy will significantly negatively impact your credit rating, so if you may need to try to borrow, that is a concern to consider.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption